Tax Tips for Newly Married Couples

June brides (and grooms) take note: Marriage alters your tax status and adds a few more to-dos to what’s probably a long list.

If one or both of you change your names, notify the Social Security Administration because their records must match those on your tax returns. You’ll be able to choose whether to file your income tax return jointly or separately each year. Joint filing typically is more beneficial, but not always.

If you both work, you may be pushed into a higher tax bracket or become subject to the 0.9% additional Medicare tax. So look into whether you should increase your withholding by submitting new W-4 forms to your employers. Contact us for help.

Leave a Reply